Connecting the Islands: Pool’s Island Bailey Bridge
Pool’s Island was first settled as a village on the route to the Labrador seal fishery. Some say it was the settlement of Pool’s Island, and its expanding population, that lead to the development of the nearby communities of Badger’s Quay and Valleyfield. It was not until 1953 however, that a single-lane Bailey bridge was constructed to connect Pool’s Island and Badger’s Quay.
Current day settlements in New-Wes-Valley are fully accessible by roads, but still span at least eleven islands, in addition to the mainland portion of the community. While each of these islands are now connected by bridge or by causeway, it was not until 1981 that the coastline was fully connected, and most roads were paved.
This case study will look at the social and economic impacts of connecting communities by roads. The bridge to Pool’s Island will be studied specifically, and a discussion of connecting other inhabited islands around the province’s coast will be presented.
The Chafe Tree Website. “History of Pool’s Island/Badger’s Quay.” (2009). Retrieved Feb 14, 2013, from http://chafetree.com/12pettyharbour.html#Pool%27s%20Island/Badger%27s%20quay.
The Daily News. “Public Works Steps Up Roads Program – New Construction and Reconstruction Highlights 1953.” (December 31, 1953). St. John’s, Newfoundland. Pp. 29.
Bourne, Harry C. “Refrigerators and Modern Appliances Indicate Northern Prosperity.” (October 1954). Newfoundland Journal of Commerce, Vol. 21, number 10, pp. 20-24.
SDR Engineering Consultants, Inc. “Prefabricated Steel Bridge Systems.” FHWA Solicitation No. DTFH61-03-R-00113. Retrieved March 10, 2013, from http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/prefab/psbsreport.pdf.
CanadianSoldiers.com. “Bailey Bridge.” (2013). Retrieved March 10, 2013, from www.canadiansoldiers.com/equipment/engineerequipment/baileybridge.htm.
Bourne, Harry C. “Bonavista North Bulletin.” (March 1954). Newfoundland Journal of Commerce, Vol. 22, Number 6, pp. 20-22.
Bourne, Harry C. “Salt Codfish Production at Record Peak in 1954.” (December 1954). Newfoundland Journal of Commerce, Vol. 21, Number 11, pp.12, 15.
Douglas, T.S. “How the Army’s Amazing Bailey Bridge is Built.” (January 1945). The War Illustrated, Vol. 8, Number 198, pp. 564. Retrieved March 10, 2013, from http://www.thewarillustrated.info/198/how-the-armys-amazing-bailey-bridge-is-built.asp.
VOCM’s Morning Show. (March 2013). VOCM. St. John’s, NL.
- There are currently no refbacks.